The Salem Animal Rescue League is seeking an experienced Vet Tech. Our ideal candidate will have 1-2 years of experience in the field, possess strong communication skills and have experience overseeing routine surgeries in conjunction with our medical team. You must have the skills to safely restrain animals, basic knowledge of vaccines and products, parasite screening/prevention & follow SARL's protocols as written.
Essential Job Responsibilities
1. Assume primary responsibility for scheduling of animals for veterinary examinations and rechecks. Coordinate scheduling of certain appointment types with other departments.
2. Oversee veterinary treatment of shelter animals by animal care staff. Administer veterinary treatments as needed and/or as directed. Communicate treatment plans to staff. Participate in training of medical foster volunteers when needed.
3. Assist or assume duties and responsibilities of clinic vet tech as needed, including induction and monitoring of anesthesia, prepping for surgery, and setting up for other medical procedures.
4. Obtain animal histories from staff, volunteers, and/or veterinary records. Communicate all findings to attending veterinarian.
5. Ensure that medical records are adequately and accurately documented daily as needed.
6. Maintain required supplies for veterinary examinations in areas of the shelter where examinations are performed. Ensure that examination area is clean and tidy before, between and following exams.
7. Knowledge of proper restraint techniques for animals during veterinary examinations and procedures.
8. Maintain organized inventory of prescription medications, shampoos, veterinary diets, and other veterinary supplies for shelter use. Order supplies and medications as needed.
9. Maintain controlled drug logs in accordance with DEA requirements as directed.
10. Under supervision of veterinarian, maintain reference documentation for staff including dosage charts for commonly used medications, protocols for treatment of commonly identified diseases, and medical counsels for adopters for commonly identified medical problems.
11. Coordinate scheduling and transport of animals for off-site veterinary appointments.
12. Track and report costs for community medicine.
13. Maintain shelter laboratory area, supplies, and equipment. Collect lab samples such as blood, urine, skin scrapes, impression smears, trichograms, ear cytology, PCV/TS, snap tests, fecal floats, and ringworm cultures.
14. Attend daily rounds.
15. Assist veterinarian with clerical tasks or other tasks assigned by the veterinarian.
16. Perform routine procedures such as nail trims, basic grooming, ear cleaning, etc.
17. Provide medical information and fill prescriptions.
18. Assist with euthanasia as required.
19. Daily medical report to SARL staff.
20. Knowledge and ability to intake and release patients, including delivering post-operative instructions in a competent and friendly manner
21. Assist with cleaning clinic and surgical pack preparation as assigned.
22. Effectively communicate and work as part of a team or individually.
23. Assist with clerical tasks such as phone calls, appointment setting, input medical history for transport animals, among other communications to the public for community medicine.
1. Licensed/Certified veterinary technician and/or minimum two years’ experience working in a veterinary hospital or clinic, animal shelter experience preferred.
2. Experience performing dental procedures.
3. Excellent communication, organizational, and technical skills.
4. Shows maturity, good judgment and performs duties in a professional and efficient manner.
5. Ability to work under pressure and stay calm in stressful situations.
6. Must be in good physical and mental health.
7. Proficiency with personal computers, MS Word, MS Excel, Shelter database software (PetPoint or similar), copy machine, facsimile and operate telephones in the prescribed manner.
8. Demonstrated capability to be a self-starter, facilitator, and organizer.
9. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
10. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
11. Must possess basic math skills, including use of whole numbers, fractions, and decimals and medically relevant calculations such as conversions between different units, doses and dosages, and rates, ratios, and percentages.
12. Ability to lift 40-50lbs without assistance and lift to 100 lbs. with assistance.
13. Ability to be flexible and adapt to an ever-changing environment.
1. Compliance with current SARL Employee Policy Manual and SOPs.
2. Frequent contact with the public in a fast-paced and changing work environment that may sometimes be stressful and/or emotionally charged.
3. Exposure to dead, sick, injured, unruly, vicious, and/or dangerous animals and frequent exposure to parasites and infectious diseases.
4. Exposure to an environment where the noise level may be moderate to loud.
5. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to reach or feel; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
Serious inquiries only, no phone calls or walk-ins please.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 - $20.00 per hour
Paid time off
Email email@example.com with a cover letter and resume, explaining why you think you'd be an ideal candidate to fill this roll.